Why design matters

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:27:42 CEST 2015

Hi Patrik,

Generally speaking I think we are at Xfce very open to non-development
contributions (though right now what we need the most dramatically IS
developers' time). I raised the issue because of the very obvious
connotation that design has to people outside the field (aesthetics and
visual aspect of products). I think we pretty much have the brand identity
and looks of Xfce covered with the Shimmer project, even though right now
the default theme hasn't been updated (because of technical issues as far
as I recall). I'm not involved with that so won't talk about it further.

What kind of designer are you, and what are you likely to be the best at if
you jump in? For the record I don't think we have a professional designer
on board right now. I personally am a computer scientist, but do usability
research and HCI theory research for a living. Because of that I might
occasionally put a big emphasis on justifying why a change is needed and
whose needs a proposed approach fulfills.

I think one of Simon's more urgent projects is to re-organise the settings
UIs of Xfce, so it would be useful to have some information architecture
skills (something I don't :p), to have experiment designs to either assess
the findability of different settings options or figure out how potential
Xfce users would express a need to change a specific setting.

As I said in my previous email, another much needed contribution is to
analyse some survey data and start redesigning the interactions around
session saving/resumption (with a focus on documenting the capabilities you
need out of the OS since I'm not sure yet how we can suspend and resume
GNOME applications safely).

Of course, if you are able and willing to do graphic design contributions,
that is also equally welcome! As Simon pointed out there might be
technicalities that we have to deal with, but I personally would love all
my systray icons and panel plugins to behave identically (with regard to
spacing, appearance on focus, and looks of the popup menu when clicked).

Cheers,

Steve Dodier-Lazaro
PhD Student
University College London