Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Sébastien Wilmet swilmet at gnome.org
Fri Sep 5 14:07:10 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 05:04:42PM -0700, Matthew Brush wrote:
> +1, compare new Gedit:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/nacho/files/2014/01/gedit3.png
>
> with new Mousepad:
>
> http://codebrainz.ca/images/screenshots/mousepad-0.4.png

A traditional menu can be used with gedit:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gedit/tree/gedit/resources/gtk/

Not sure how this can be forced when launched on Xfce. It is currently
used depending on the OS (for example Mac OS X uses the traditional
menu).

And I think with the traditional UI there is only the menu, not the
toolbar.

> Even for a simple app like a text editor, there's a number of practical
> issues to consider for replacement, I can't even imagine how that'd work for
> core XFCE applications, services and libraries.

Yes, more collaboration would be needed.

> Luckily, Sébastien and others are nice enough to make GtkSourceView library
> so good that an app like Mousepad can offer much of the same functionality
> as Gedit without too much duplication :)

gedit core has still ~40k lines of code. Some features are moved to
GtkSourceView. But ideally a text editor like gedit, without the plugin
system, should be 1000 lines of code. This would be really useful to
create easily specialized text editors and IDEs. See:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/ReusableCode

--
Sébastien