Listing our current forces

André Miranda andreldm1989 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:47:58 CET 2014

On 11/22/2014 02:05 PM, Andrzej wrote:
> IMHO the key issue now is the lack a release manager. No releases = no
> motivation to contribute to the project = stagnation. Since the most
> active community these days is Xubuntu I would recommend giving (some
> of) Xubuntu folks commit rights to all Xfce components and permission to
> release stable Xfce versions every half a year. Assuming they agree, of
> course.
I can't agree more. Nowadays projects are wildly releasing (Firefox,
Chromium, Systemd...), people (mistakenly) believe that a project that
hasn't release a stable version in 1~2yr is dead (yeah, I'm talking
about Xfce as a whole). While this is not true, this feeling of "not
really moving forward" is unhealthy to the project, as people come to
contribute, file some bug reports or upload a couple of patches and
things end up in bugzilla. Eventually they give up and take for granted
that Xfce is dead. Even if the patches are merged, few components are
releasing as often as needed. Even tough if we have some components
releasing regularly, Xfce itself is stuck in version 4.10 since 2012 April.

In a nutshell, even if Xfce development is not as fast as it once was, I
think we should try to release often, even if new versions feature only
bugfixes. This alone is a message that the project is not dead and
should encourage new collaborators.