RFC on UX surveys on the session preference UI

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:17:51 CET 2014

> I'm sure the label can be edited :)

Actually not sure if it wouldn't separate the answers in the software
I use. Next time :-)

> I approached it from "This is a survey about xfce usability, not about
> participation in xfce communities"¹ Although thinking about it, I guess
> it's possible that not seeing women in xfce forums discourages some
> women from trying it. :/  Anyway, it was just a personal opinion about
> the results I expected for that survey question.

You're right. When we ask about the community we'll need to go into
more details. People probably see the utility in answering a technical
survey quite easily though (given the code/technique values of FOSS
communities), it's still very useful for us to find who the
respondants are! There are a few interesting facts in the data :-)

You make a point about the survey being advertised only in the visible
parts of the community. I'd love to get some wisdom from other
projects about how to reach the "non-community" users but I suspect
nobody has a recipe for just that.

> Steve Dodier-Lazaro wrote:
>> Ah crap, I just sent it over.
>
> I'm sure the label can be edited :)
>

>> The point in Women Participation initiatives is of course not that
>> Xfce (or any software) is easier or harder to use for a gender, but to
>> empower women, by explicitly stating that people from all genders are
>> welcome, and by setting up specific events or reward programs (i.e.
>> reserved GSoC projects or bounties?) to encourage women to
>> participate.
>>
>> Women are rarer than men in software development but it's also hard to
>> join a community that is exclusively male (because of cultural
>> expectations on men and women's competences, communities being
>> organised according to cultural standards and values more spread among
>> men, and so on) so explicit communication and encouragement can help
>> interested people break the glass ceiling and join the community.
>
> I approached it from "This is a survey about xfce usability, not about
> participation in xfce communities"¹ Although thinking about it, I guess
> it's possible that not seeing women in xfce forums discourages some
> women from trying it. :/  Anyway, it was just a personal opinion about
> the results I expected for that survey question.
>

> Best regards
>

> ¹ However, the places where the survey gets advertised may result
> precisely in that.

Steve Dodier-Lazaro
PhD Student in Information Security
University College London