Would XFCE consider adopting AppData?

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Tue May 27 00:27:36 CEST 2014

Hey Richard (and everyone else),

I've meanwhile also prepared another branch for xfce4-power-manager adding in AppData, but I have another question.
The only thing that's missing now are screenshots. There are a few guidelines over at fd.org [1].

First of all, "All screenshots should have a 16:9 aspect ratio". This doesn't seem to work particularly well for xfce4-power-manager, to be honest. I could show a fraction of the window, I'm not sure it'd be very illustrative.
I'm mainly wondering now why I can't upload a picture in say "636x537" (the minimum window size) and the software center app will be clever enough to add whitespace around it instead of scaling it to 16:9?
Otherwise I guess I have to add that whitespace in form of transparent padding myself, or do you have any better ideas?

Secondly, it says:
"Use the default visual and theme settings, including the default font, icons, and window controls. Avoid including your own tweaks to the standard distribution offering."

Now presuming that Gnome Software won't be a Fedora-only project, how will I know what is default or "standard distribution offering"? The Xfce spin of distros varies in terms of default Gtk theme, some use Adwaita (Fedora?), some use Xfce's own themes I guess and others again use newer themes that work well with the respective Gtk3 release (Xubuntu).
Of course I can just upload a screenshot with whatever *I* prefer (which would most likely end up being the Xubuntu version), but I wonder whether the spec isn't in need of some clarification here, for those that use !Gnome.

Next up: screenshot resolution.
While my browser won't display the sample screenshot of the example file [2], it would be probably be good if you add one that is retrievable (and hence illustrates, what you think a *good* screenshot in 16:9 of gnome-power-statistics would look like) and if the resolution is the *preferred* resolution.
This page [3] has a huge table of possible resolutions (and so many odd ones, I really wonder whether it's more helpful than confusing :))
Is there any point in uploading a screenshot larger than 624x351 if it won't look pixel-perfect then? Also (out of curiosity): how did you arrive at that resolution?

Cheers
Simon

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Application.html
[2] http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/example.patch