Would XFCE consider adopting AppData?

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Wed May 21 10:57:52 CEST 2014

Hey Richard,

I've just pushed a branch for Parole[1] which adds basic AppData for it. As this is the first app in Xfce to have an AppData file I wanted to ask you whether you could review it so we can use it as a template for other projects/apps.

One problem I noticed when compiling the data for the XML is the links to release-mails. While being useful and nice, these links can always only be added after the release-mail has been sent, which can technically only happen after the release. This means that the appdata file could only get the link to the release-mail added in *after* the release has happened.
How do you guys handle that? Or shall we just point to a git-commit instead?
Also, I presume the screenshots should be on a server that is not going away anytime soon, right? Or are they pulled into some centralized server anyway?

Last but not least (and you'll notice that when reviewing anyway), there are some differences between these two specifications
 * http://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Application.html
 * http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/
Which one is accurate (and why are they different in the first place)?

Cheers,
Simon

[1] http://git.xfce.org/users/ochosi/parole/commit/?h=appdata&id=1e61dab620d0a5900910939e27aec17b4b05afe1