Would XFCE consider adopting AppData?

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Mon May 12 16:48:19 CEST 2014

On Mon, 12 May 2014 11:11:21 +0100
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is what we're currently using for criteria:
> https://github.com/hughsie/createrepo_as#guidelines-for-applications
> -- although for the xfce4-power-manager case I would probably say that
> it's not an "app" per-se, although showing it for XFCE specifically
> might make sense.

I guess you meant https://github.com/hughsie/createrepo_as#what-is-an-application :)

This is actually why I used xfce4-power-manager as an example: it's currently used by default in at least Lubuntu (which uses LXDE as DE – arguably that might change with LXQT), so showing it specifically for Xfce might not suffice.

Anyhow, here goes a list of projects I'd personally consider "applications" (for reference, see git.xfce.org):
 * gigolo
 * mousepad
 * orage
 * ristretto
 * xfburn
 * xfce4-screenshooter
 * xfce4-taskmanager
 * xfce4-terminal
 * thunar
 * xfce4-appfinder
 * xfce4-power-manager

Questionable "applications":
 * xfce4-notifyd
 * xfce4-panel
 * xfdesktop
 * xfwm4

I would be interested to get your feedback on this list, as it would make it easier to get in touch with the respective maintainers or submit patches.

Cheers,
Simon

[1] I excluded some that haven't had releases in a long time and those that carry -plugin in their name, although the notes and clipman plugin can be used without the xfce4-panel.