RFC: Add keyboard backlight brightness handling to power-manager

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 02:36:49 CET 2014

Hi,

Whilst to me the location of the backend matters little, shouldn't one
expect that users will look for keyboard brightness settings in the
keyboard settings? I had a quick glance at your code (can't build/test
stuff on the lappy right now) and it seems to me that you're using only the
xfpm settings UI. What about a patch against keyboard-settings with a
clickable link that'd open the xfpm settings (and appear only if xfpm is
running/runnable)?

> All,
>
> I have been working on a way to have xfce4-power-manager handle keyboard
> backlight brightness buttons. Some things it does:
>
> * It will listen to keyboard brightness up/down keys from your keyboard
> * It displays a libnotify popup showing the brightness level (a la
> sound/display brightness)
> * Changes brightness by sending D-Bus messages to UPower
>
> Please have a look and see if it seems like something that should be
> included into mainline. You can check my kdb-backlight branch in github at:
>
>     https://github.com/simonsonc/xfce4-power-manager/tree/kbd-backlight
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl Simonson
> simonsonc at gmail.com