ANNOUNCE: xfce4-power-manager 1.3.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Thu Jun 12 16:54:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am 12.06.2014 01:57, schrieb Simon Steinbeiß:
> Hey Harald,
>
> first of all, thanks a bunch for taking a look at xfpm and
> supplying these patches!
>
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:26:08 +0200 Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at>
> wrote:
>
>> I've been playing around with glade and tried to adjust the
>> sizes of some widgets, especially combo boxes. This is probably a
>> matter of taste, but I found the horizontally expanding combo
>> boxes ugly when the text they contain is so small that it only
>> occupies a fraction of the space of the widget. This becomes more
>> obvious when the settings window is enlarged, and the length of
>> the translated strings will certainly affect this.
>
> While I somewhat agree, we were simply following the Gnome HIG in
> this respect (which is also used in Xfce's settings dialogs
> mostly, check e.g. xfwm4-settings, there are several comboboxes, or
> many other dialogs, like appearance settings). So when I first
> redesigned that dialog, they weren't expanded, but then I thought
> it might be better to remain visually consistent with other Xfce
> dialogs and hence let them expand.

Yes, you're right. I didn't notice because it's mostly visible on
large windows. Most Xfce dialogs follow these HIG, with some
exceptions here and there. I've even done that myself without being
aware in the weather plugin settings. Never mind.

I've attached another patch that fixes cut off text in the critical
energy widget. Maybe it depends on the theme or a custom font size, I
can't say. You consider it worth applying or not. I hope the width_char
value is correct.

Finally, there's something wrong on the system tab; the lid action on
battery is not shown. I can change it (choose another option), though,
and the changes are even reflected in the xfce settings editor.
Haven't got that far to fix it.

Harald

- --
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 0xBA3AC516
Fingerprint: 569E 0ADA 440A 8B11 D1A2 AB47 8238 0256 BA3A C516