Remove another "paper cut"?

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Jan 15 16:59:58 CET 2014

15.01.2014 17:24, Jarno Suni kirjoitti:
>> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:39 PM, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
>
>>> 15.01.2014 13:17, PK kirjoitti:
>
>> The problem could also be alleviated by rewording the option label so
>> that it better describes the effect. Something like "Restart
>> applications on next login". This might be even more intuitive if the
>> session is reset to default if the option is unchecked, if this is even
>> technically feasible. In any case, I'd have to agree that for new users
>> this option is more trouble than it's worth.
>
> Well, user might not know what he/she wants next time when he/she logs on. That is why there is an option called "Display chooser on login" in "Session and Startup" settings. Personally I have one session that I keep empty for fast logins. You could alternatively create a new session for that purpose every time you want to start with an empty session, and not save that session on logout, but you would have to name the session at start.

This doesn't really change the fact that currently it seems to me (and
PK) that many less experienced users do not seem to understand what
"saving a session" even means, and it takes more than a bit of
explaining before they do. I'm talking about people like my elderly
relatives, not linux-enthusiasts and computer geeks like us. I am not
saying this feature is useless, but the UI implementation is not ideal.

> I would like to be able to save session by name within a session. I would also like to be able to see which is the name of the session I am using. And I would like to be able to clear a session by its name. Currently I can only find a way to clear all saved sessions at once in the settings.

You might want to file a feature request of your own.

- Jari