custom-WebBrowser

Jerry Bond stormyjerry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:51:05 CET 2014

Hi List --

I posted this question twice on the Forum without result, so am turning
to you.

In MX-14, we are now (approaching RC 1) using QupZilla as default
browser because of its high function:size ratio and have selected it
under Preferred Applications.  We are trying to code for a GUI entry
"Restore Default Browser defaults," and we are having trouble
generalizing it to read the name of the selected default browser.  I see
~/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc, where I read: WebBrowser=custom-WebBrowser,
and I also see that a new desktop file has been placed inside ~/.local.

When the user selects a browser, any browser, under Preferred
Applications, *why doesn't the name just simply show up in the
helpers.rc file* as long as there is an executable and a desktop file?
Is there a master list of known/named/approved browsers somewhere that
we can edit so the helpers.rc file will include the actual browser name?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry