Xfce user repositories

Nick Schermer nick at xfce.org
Mon Feb 24 23:07:57 CET 2014

Hi,

I've added the possibility to create user repositories. This allows
all the developers with git permissions to create their own
permissions with the following wildcard:

users/$name/[a-z0-9-]+

To illustrate this:

You have no permission to commit upstream to xfwm4, but you want a
branch to build a new feature / fix bug whatever:

# clone source repo
git clone git://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4

# add your user repository
git remote add private ssh://git@git.xfce.org/users/nick/xfwm4

# create branch
git checkout -b fix-for-bug-1234

# make changes

# push branch to your own user repo
git push private

Now there are probably tons of better ways to use this (Hi Felipe
Contreras!), but you get the point. I already pulled my own repos from
thunar and pushed them to a private repository:
http://git.xfce.org/users/nick/thunar/

So the advantages:
- No commit mails are send, so you can play whatever you want.
- I can grant git access to new users without giving them write access
to the upstream repository
- fast forwards are not denied (you can rebase and push upstream,
break history) this is not allowed in the other repositories but nice
for private development.
- Less clutter in the main repos.
- All other developers in xfce can commit in your repo too. We are all
wise enough to know what we do right?

You cannot delete repositories, ask me for that. Not feeling very
comfortable with accepting that in the config just yet. Not really
experimented with that either.

Repos are listed here: http://git.xfce.org/users/ and with "ssh
git at git.xfce.org" you can see your @C permission.

So, that's about it...