Why not reusing more GNOME components?

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:53:23 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40:50AM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> That's for the user to decide, really.
>>
>> One of teh main points of Xfce is that it provides a simple, usable
>> environment for the user. Another fundamental part is flexibility.
>> Don't like xfwm4? No probs: kill it and bring up any
>> standard-compliant WM, even Gnome's. And for any missing gaps in
>> functionality or else, users can simply cherry pick Gnome apps and
>> plug them into their Xfce workflow. God knows I use file-roller,
>> evince and brasero when in need, and I do so without an official stamp
>> of approval from Xfce.
>>
>> And that's the point, really. Xfce provides a simple, intuitive and
>> usable environment for end users. The core apps are very few and, some
>> would argue, with minimalistic underpinnings. All else, be it Goodies
>> or unofficially related Xfce apps are community provided, and Xfce
>> itself doesn't bother very much with those: all are welcome. And if
>> users care to supplement missing features with "external" apps,
>> they're more than welcome to do so. Don't like Mousepad? Fine, go grab
>> Gedit or Geany. Don't care for Midori (and are enraged with the brand
>> new Opera), go grab Chromium or Otter Browser. Choose whichever makes
>> you happier..
>
> Ok, but it requires more configuration. There is no Linux distro that
> can be installed directly with the Xfce desktop but with GNOME
> applications. And for the Xfce desktop, it is not directly possible to
> have all the GNOME stack, but with the Xfce panel.
>
> Would it be difficult to create a "Gfce" package for a distribution?

> That is, take GNOME, remove gnome-shell and add the Xfce panel. Does the

Seems like worth a feature request to the Gnome devs, namely the
flexibility to replace their panel with some other panel.. (Not taht
they would ever consider it.)

> Xfce panel depends on other Xfce modules? Would Gfce be well integrated?
> I imagine it would require some modifications to the Xfce panel. But it

> would be a good alternative for users that liked GNOME 2 and don't like
> gnome-shell (like me, as you can guess ;).

But then I'm not sure I follow the issue that you're having. What
could Gnome2 ever do that Xfce >=4.8 cannot? Configure Xfce to use the
visual layout of Gnome2, plugin all your favorite Gnome apps, and be
done with it.

Regards,
Liviu