Some UX changes to Screenshooter

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Wed Apr 30 09:03:33 CEST 2014

* Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org> [2014-04-30 08:52]:
> Hi,
>
> * Steve Dodier-Lazaro <sidnioulz at gmail.com> [2014-04-30 02:05]:
> >     * lib/screenshooter-capture.c, configure.ac.in, Makefile.am: Notify the
> > ability to cancel a
> >     region selection with Esc -- this is somewhat controversial as it
> > requires a dependency to
> >     libnotify -- however that lib is already used by xfce4-volumed,
> > xfce4-power-manager, Thunar and
> >     obviously xfce4-notify so it would be problematic only for a subset of
> > users. Of course there's
> >     a compile-time switch. I'd like the change to occur to improve the
> > learnability of the feature.
> >
> > https://github.com/Sidnioulz/xfce4-screenshooter/commit/3213b49f33a418f4f905c05cab357de76ce79112
>
> I personally dislike the use of notification for this, not
> because of the libnotify dependency but because help messages are
> not really their intended purpose and the notification can get in
> the way. Maybe rendering the text on the ovelay window would be
> better.

Maybe I should have clarified, it's not personal taste or
neatness but that you rely on an implementation detail of
xfce4-notifyd which rather simple and always displays a simple
notification window until it is closed, cancels or times out.
This breaks if xfce4-notifyd gains features like KDE's or GNOME's
notification daemons or if the user uses a different (there are
desktop-independent implementations) or no notification daemon at
all. notification daemons may hide notifications by default, keep
them around in a window until they are explicitly acknowledged or
deleted by a user or log them. This is what makes it a poor
choice for help messages.
--
Guido Berhoerster