RFC: Listening for devices being added - udev vs. X11

Martin Kelly martin at martingkelly.com
Sun Apr 20 23:59:53 CEST 2014

> I don't know others BSD, but on FreeBSD (and DragonFly) devices
> monitoring can be detected through unix socket with kqueue/kevent.
> There's daemon called devd [1] for that.
>
> Currently Thunar show only devices found in /etc/fstab.
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devd&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+10.0-RELEASE

It looks like devd uses a config file, so xfsettingsd would need to add
an entry to that. In any case, I don't have a BSD system to test on. How
about if I #ifdef this to work only on Linux and if someone else with a
BSD system has the time, then they could add the feature in? We could
instead use X11, but then we are writing new code that we know will
eventually die, which seems like bad design to me.