RFC: Listening for devices being added - udev vs. X11

Olivier Duchateau duchateau.olivier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:05:19 CEST 2014

>> It'll take a while until Wayland is ready for the desktop (yes, I am
>> aware there is work on desktop shells for Weston) and until toolkits
>> are fully ready for Wayland.
>>
>> It's a good point however, udev is a fairly good mechanism to monitor
>> for device changes (we already use it in thunar/thunar-volman) and it's
>> the tool of choice in Wayland/Weston/libinput as well.
>>

> What does thunar use to handle udev incompatibility on *BSD? It sounds like
> I should handle this in a similar way.

I don't know others BSD, but on FreeBSD (and DragonFly) devices
monitoring can be detected through unix socket with kqueue/kevent.
There's daemon called devd [1] for that.

Currently Thunar show only devices found in /etc/fstab.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devd&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+10.0-RELEASE

olivier