Datetime Setter for Xfce

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 5 08:21:54 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Edoardo Maria Elidoro
<edoardo.elidoro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> sorry if I knock to your door again, I don't have much knowledge about
> this, but I'd like to learn so I can offer more help to the Xfce
> project.
>
> I ran:
> git clone ...
>
> git chechout datetime-patches
>
> ./autogen.sh --enable-gtk3 --enable-datetime-settings
> --enable-maintainer-mode (it says that --enable-gtk3 it's not a valid
> option, how do I enable it?)
It should be --with-gtk3 (configure --help is your friend) but it
might be that this will cause build failures for other components than
datetime-setter. I looked into /usr/bin/xdt-autogen (which is called
by autogen.sh): You can add all configure options to autogen
(--enable-maintainer-mode is automatically appended) and don't need to
rerun configure again.

> Build Configuration:
>
> * Installation prefix:       /usr/local
> * Debug Support:             full
> * gtk3 Support:              no
> * Xrandr support:            yes
> * UPower support:            yes
> * Libnotify support:         yes
> * Xcursor support:           yes
> * Embedded settings dialogs  no
> * Sounds settings support    no
> * Libxklavier support:       yes
> * Mime settings (gio-unix):  yes
> * Datetime settings support: yes
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
> --disable-static --enable-xrandr --enable-xcursor --enable-libnotify
> --enable-libxklavier --enable-pluggable-dialogs
> --enable-sound-settings --disable-debug --enable-datetime-settings
> --enable-maintainer-mode (taken straight from Archlinux xfce4-settings
> package)
>
> make
>

> But after all that, when I launch:
> ./xfce4-settings-manager/xfce4-settings-manager
>
> I get the same old settings manager without any options.
> What am I missing?
You need to run make install as root - but note that you are
installing a development version which might cause serious effects -
xfsettingsd is a very central component. Don't do that on a
'productive' machine.

I put xfce-mailing list to cc so others can share your results.

Andreas