Improving Git workflow

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 01:34:21 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> Just throwing this out there: people could use one of the existing free Git
> hosts like Github, SourceForge, or Google Projects if they wanted to share
> their personal stuff with others, or just having a local repository on their
> computer, thumb drive, network share, etc.
>
> IIRC, I did this with Mousepad changes, I pulled from XFCE Git before I had
> commit access, worked on my local copy, then when showing someone, I made a
> new Github repo and pushed it there, and then once I got commit access and
> was ready to put changes in XFCE Git, I just added a different remote (for
> SSH) and pushed the changes back.
>
> I think this is pretty much how Git is designed to be used (I'm no Git
> expert though, I could be wrong), and it doesn't require any special
> infrastructure unless you plan to setup a repository hosting site like
> Github or something.

Yes, that is exactly right. That's why there is a D in DVCS; Git is
supposed to be distributed, and ideally every person should push to
their own personal repository. Git supports multiple persons pushing
to the same repository, but that's using it as an old-style VCS.

I suppose that's the reason you _need_ gitolite, if you used Git in a
truly distributed way, all you need is ssh.

--
Felipe Contreras