Improving Git workflow

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Fri Oct 11 01:15:54 CEST 2013

On 13-10-10 03:53 PM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 19:25:17 -0500
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>
>> And what admin overhead? The admin doesn't have to move a finger, it's
>> the user that creates those repositories, and it's extremely easy.
>> Here are the instructions from freedesktop.org:
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Infrastructure/git/RepositoryAdmin/
>
> That's not how our servers are set up currently. It's why I said the
> decision is up to those maintaining Xfce actively, i.e. those
> who'd be in charge of adjusting the infrastructure.

Just throwing this out there: people could use one of the existing free
Git hosts like Github, SourceForge, or Google Projects if they wanted to
share their personal stuff with others, or just having a local
repository on their computer, thumb drive, network share, etc.

IIRC, I did this with Mousepad changes, I pulled from XFCE Git before I
had commit access, worked on my local copy, then when showing someone, I
made a new Github repo and pushed it there, and then once I got commit
access and was ready to put changes in XFCE Git, I just added a
different remote (for SSH) and pushed the changes back.

I think this is pretty much how Git is designed to be used (I'm no Git
expert though, I could be wrong), and it doesn't require any special
infrastructure unless you plan to setup a repository hosting site like
Github or something.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush