The future of Xfce (or beating the Gtk3 horse to death)

Ivan Hernandez ivanhernandezpuga at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 23:09:09 CET 2013

Hi guys,

No fearmonguering! Remember when everything switched from gtk 1.2 to gtk
2.0. It was a pain in the ass. Everything looked horrible. But back in that
ages the only real desktop using gtk was Gnome. Yes, xfce 3.8 was there but
was more like an UDE clone with motif default themes, and linux desktops
where rarely found in the wild. People where still browsing the web with
netscape / lynx, OpenOffice was StarOffice, no desktop integration, TkInter
everywhere, perl, fltk, foxlibs, etc. Nobody cared about how ugly anything
looked because everything was segfauting all the time so eyecandy was a
secondary issue.

Now it's a different time and people expects linux desktops to be more
consistent and pretty, but that doesn't mean that having gtk3 and gtk2 apps
mixed up is an apocalypse. We already had qt and gtk for a long time. So
either xfce, lxde, chrome, libreoffice and every other gtk based project
will go for gtk3 or gtk2 will be forked into a new project. That's how
everything works.

If Gnome3 is adopted by all major distributions then gtk3 will become once
again (against any technical argument) the standard toolkit and any desktop
using anything else gonna face integration problems at the user interface
level with any big app out there (libreoffice, firefox, chrome, gimp, etc).

So, seems to be a wise option to wait until the gtk3 api settles down a
little, in case it becomes the new standard, and then, start migrating the
apps, one by one.

Best regards
Ivan