gnome_url_show() alternative

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Mon Jun 10 22:41:12 CEST 2013

On 06/10/2013 01:18 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

>>> Why not? Exo is part of core xfce, so you'll always have it present.
>>
>> You're right, I phrased it incorrectly. I had to include another header
>> file and edit makefiles to get exo library to work and at the moment I
>> didn't feel like doing that. Also I felt that linking against an extra
>> library wasn't such a good idea as opposed to running an external
>> command the way the weather plugin does.
>>
> Running external commands directly from a plugin is what I find weird
> here. Especially since you need to take care yourself of preventing
> command injection and stuff like that.

As far as I can see, having looked through a few panel plugin sources,
it's an acceptable way of doing it.

Line 70 of xfce4-weather-plugin-0.7.4/panel-plugin/weather-summary.c
which was written by the "Xfce Development Team" and I presume is a core
application, contains the following:

     gchar *str = g_strdup_printf("exo-open --launch WebBrowser %s", url);

Do you mean that's wrong as well? Maybe we should propose patches to all
(core) applications of xfce which contain the offending code? Since it
could be a security risk with regards to command injection.

Be that as it may I did plan on using the library call at some point.
Recently my focus was on just getting it to work.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.7