xfce-bluetooth

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Sun Jul 28 10:57:45 CEST 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:05:56 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Natanael Copa <ncopa at alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> > So far I have a preferences dialog with:
> >  - power enable/disable
> >  - discoverable enable/disable
> >  - a list of devices
> >
> > Screenshot:
> > http://imgur.com/1iTsEK9
> >
> Looks very promising.
>
> When using Blueman, I usually rely on the following features (in
> addition to those listed above):
> - discoverable should be enabled temporarily for x seconds (60 or 120
> or user specified, with 0 being always visible)

It seems like this is actually how it currently work, I just don't yet
have any entry for the DiscoverableTimeout property. (defaults to 180s)

It also seems like, once you have enabled the "Discoverable" property,
it cannot be disabled, but have to wait for the timeout. Well, you can
poweroff the bluetooth adapter it seems.

> - "powered" seems confusing to me as a user; I'm more used to "Turn
> bluetooth on/off". Maybe you could add a tooltip (if not already
> there) to indicate "Check to turn on bluetooth device".

Like this?

[x] Turn bluetooth on/off.

> - a systray icon

Yeah, with a menu with shortcuts to make it discoverable, and to get to
the preferences dialog.

> - I _always_ appreciate when the bluetooth manager allows me to turn
> bluetooth off at startup. So when starting up Xfce and firing up the
> manager to the systray, if the option is enabled then the Bluetooth
> device will be switched off. I'm no security expert, but I perceive
> the Bluetooth thingy turned on as a security concern and I'd rather it
> be explicitly turned off unless when I actually use it.

This depends on bluez I think, and it seems like it is powered off by
default. (which explains why my bluetooth keyboard didn't work...)

> - the few times I use bluetooth, I usually do so to connect my phone:
> either to send files to it, or to receive files from there. Some sort
> of facilities for this (default save folder, etc.) would be useful.

This is functionality I'm also interested in, but thats a bit futher
down the road. I think I'll try make it possible to pair devices first.

> Thanks for working on this. Regards,
> Liviu

Thanks for feedback.

-nc