How to get into xfce/gtk development?

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Fri Jan 4 08:51:01 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:32:25AM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:
> - pick a bug that affected you on http://bugzilla.xfce.org, read the
> corresponding code and the past commits to it. That'll get you comfortable
> with git, then you can try to modify the code to fix bugs
> - it might seem boring to fix bugs, but it's as rewarding as
> adding/proposing new features, and it's often easier

And if you're more into feature development, I'll note that the
thunar-vcs plugin needs several feature additions to both the
git and Subversion plugins. If you'd like to start with that
I'll be happy to make some suggestions. It is a nice way of getting
started in my opinion because it's rather simple from the GUI
perspective, open tasks are well bounded (not too small and not too
big), and there are lots of existing examples in the code. Plus it's
something not many are involved in which makes it an ideal area for
new contributors. See http://git.xfce.org/thunar-plugins/thunar-vcs-plugin/