How to get into xfce/gtk development?

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:32:25 CET 2013

Le 4 janv. 2013 00:29, "Roland Pinto" <rolandjpinto at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just started learning C on my own (using a book called C
> programming: A modern approach)and will be learning it at university
> this semester. I want to get into gtk development. More specifically
> help out with Xfce. I have to say it feels a little overwhelming to
> get into all of that C code with all the glib,gobject,dbus,gtk stuff.
> So, I would like  to know what would be best way learn all of this?
> How did you guys pick this up? Any tips and things I should know
> about?

This has already been covered several times in the past on this list, but
i'll make a short reply :
- you only need glib/gtk knowledge for starters, and reading code +
reporting to the corresponding glib/gtk doc (use devhelp) to know what each
function does. Gobject & dbus are optional
- pick an area of code that seems to need love, and try to fix one of he
numerous bugs reported against it.
- Panel plugins are a good example, and their code is quite easy to
understand
- pick a bug that affected you on http://bugzilla.xfce.org, read the
corresponding code and the past commits to it. That'll get you comfortable
with git, then you can try to modify the code to fix bugs
- it might seem boring to fix bugs, but it's as rewarding as
adding/proposing new features, and it's often easier

Landry