A big thanks and three requests for Xfce 4.12

P.K. pliniusminor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 11:48:02 CET 2013

Hello,

First of all, as a longtime happy user of Xfce, I wish to thank you all for
this fine DE! I myself can only help with translations, but you are the
people who build the excellent DE itself.

Furthermore, I have three requests that will, in my opinion, make Xfce even
better. So here are my three wishes for Xfce 4.12:

1. The default double-click time (the maximum interval between two
mouseclicks for them to be recognized as a double-click) is (imho) too
short: 250 ms. Increasing the default to 350 ms would prevent a lot of
frustration, for elderly people in particular, and for beginners who don't
know how to change the setting. 350 ms seems a more reasonable default to
me.

2. xfwm4 has a mousewheel-rollup feature, which is enabled by default. In
my opinion it would be better if this feature would be *disabled* by
default.

The mousewheel-rollup feature causes many complaints from people who
inadvertently perform a rollup of the active window, and then think that
their application window has suddenly closed. Or they see the rolled-up
window bar, but don't know how to restore it...

I've never met anyone who actually uses the mousewheel-rollup on purpose,
but I've heard many complaints from people about involuntary
mousewheel-rollups. So changing the default to "disabled" seems an
improvement to me.

3. The Whisker menu (xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin) from Graeme Gott has become
rather popular: not only it has become the default menu in the Xfce edition
of Linux Mint, but it's being considered by the Xubuntu devs as well.
Homepage: http://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/

I quite like it myself, I must say: the Whisker menu is fast, intuitive and
modern. User-friendly, no explanation needed. Feels more refined, practical
and beautiful than the current default Xfce menu, which is a bit outdated,
in my opinion.

Maybe it's a good idea to include the Whisker menu in Xfce 4.12, or even
make it the default for 4.12?

What do you think?

Regards, Pjotr.