xfce4-mixer patchset

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Mon Sep 24 23:57:43 CEST 2012

* Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> [2012-09-24 21:38]:
> Le 24 sept. 2012 13:13, "Guido Berhoerster" <gber at opensuse.org> a écrit :
> >
> > * Natanael Copa <ncopa at alpinelinux.org> [2012-09-24 11:23]:

> > > So if we want provide multimedia keys that works out-of-the-box on all
> > > platforms, without adding keybinder dependency, what options do we have
> > > really? I suppose the mentioned amixer is not available on
> > > OpenBSD or any non-Linux.
> > >
> > > Maybe have a configure option to libxfce4ui?
> >
> > Distributions can just supply a preconfigured
> > xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml, no need to handle this upstream.
> > Once OpenBSD updates their keybinder port in order they could
> > also have these keyboard shortcuts handled by xfce4-mixer if they
> > desire.
>
> What i "dont like" here is that you're adding new dependencies for little
> benefit, which could be already implemented within xfce, that already has
> code to handle kbd shortcuts. I wouldnt mind for another random app, but
> those days the mixer is generally part of xfce base installation (even if
> not in core), so i'd be reluctant to add such a dep without considering
> other options.

Well you can just build with --disable-keybinder then or set the
enable-keyboard-shotcuts xfconf property to false. This is also
not meant to be configurable, it is just about making
XF86XK_AudioRaiseVolume, XF86XK_AudioLowerVolume, and
XF86XK_AudioMute presses do what they are meant to do. That isn't
any different from how xfce4-power-manager handles
XF86XK_MonBrightnessUp/Down, XF86XK_PowerOff etc.
If this should become configurable in xfce4-settings then you'd
need to go down the road gnome has taken and integrate the mixer,
power manager and possibly other components more tightly.
--
Guido Berhoerster