Problem with XDG TryExec, how to force updating menu

jupiter jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:03:19 CET 2012

Hi,

I am running XFCE 4 on CentOS 6.2. I have an issue when a Linux
package desktop application contains a TryExec statement which does
not update menu when the  If the binary path is present and when it is
executable according to the XDG spec.

The package has two desktop applications in /usr/share/applications,
request.desktop and response.desktop. the response.desktop has the
statement "TryExec=/usr/local/bin/update.sh", but that script is not
available until the application in request.desktop is called. It seems
that the menu is not updating after the
"TryExec=/usr/local/bin/update.sh" is available and therefore the
response application could not see on the menu.

The only thing I could make the response item on menu is run "touch
/usr/share/applications/response.desktop" which triggering the menu
update. It is ugly and it is not workable.

Are there any commands / utilities can be used to force updating menu?

Thank you.

Kind regards.