XFWM: Hide titlebar when maximized

ism.a at inode.at ism.a at inode.at
Wed Nov 14 20:48:45 CET 2012

Hello Olivier!

> Well, anyways, opening a new bug and posting the patch there is the only
> way to move forward. Hard to discuss the quality of a patch
> without seeing it. From the description in the original post, it looks
> like a quick hack and not suitable for inclusion upstream.

It's a just a quick hack, that's why I asked if you want this feature
(generally).
IMHO, it's not suitable for inclusion, as there's no way to disable it, so
you would have to use the window menu (via Alt+F3) to unmaximize it (or
edit frame.c and recompile xfwm to disable it).

> As for adding new options, I understand that most user fail to
> understand why adding new options is a bad things, generally speaking.
>
> But what may seem at first thought as a simple, tiny change can
> quickly turn into a maintenance burden. And that burden is for me,
> getting worse as time is always an issue.
>
> The more options, the more code paths, and the less manageable the code
> becomes.
>
> Users come and go, the core remains, and then it's up to me (as a
> maintainer) to deal with it. So unless you come up and sign for a
> lifetime agreement to maintain your proposed patches for any
> forseeable future, I reserve the right to decide what's goes in and
> what's not.

No, unfortunately I don't have the time to maintain it.
That is why I asked here before I start writing something I don't need and
you don't want.

> As a general comment, if xfce/xfwm4 is not for you, well, sorry, I
> appreciate your comments but I don't have time or inclination to
> accept all patches and implement all features people may think of. One
> of the Xfc ecore goals is to keep things simple, a difficult balance
> between useful features and bloat...
>
> But again, back to the topic, hard to discuss without seeing the
> patch. At first sight, it looks like maximization without borders, ie a
> lesser fullscreen of some sort. So please, first convince me that
> fullscreen is not what you want, prove me that an undecorated window can
> be unmaximized easily, that it works with all different types of
> windows, show me that it works with all possible existing options
> (maximization already has a decoration option, it should work in both
> case), then maybe, just maybe I'll consider the feature, assuming the
> code is correct.

The difference between fullscreen and the maximized-without-border-window
is that I still see the xfce4-panel when I maximize it.

I mapped F11 to maximization, so it is easy (for me) to unmaximize it.
(So yes, I want fullscreen, but with the panel - this is IMHO the quickest
and simplest way to do it).

>  All this belongs to bugzilla, as I said already.

I'll upload the patch, thanks.

- -
Srdjan Markovic