Systemd / Udev (was: [Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features)

Raphael Groner raphgro at web.de
Tue May 8 14:58:19 CEST 2012

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at googlemail.com
Mon May 7 23:26:19 CEST 2012
> This was just an example where functionality was removed for BSD
> Users because Xfce switched to udev and removed HAL.

Xfce 4.12 maybe has to remove ConsoleKit/PolicyKit, and later udev …

We promototed those features at CLT 2012 for Xfce 4.8 (and coming Xfce
4.10). The world is ruling faster and faster, features are coming,
features have to go in favour of new ones. Some questions would stay
what's a bug in that case. Udev is going to be implemented into Systemd
sources, at least for now already what decisions belong to upstream
development and VCS.

> I did not say that Xfce should only support systemd and drop support
> for all other existing platforms, but only wanted to show that there
> were situations in the past were Xfce moved some things to linux-only.

+1

This is a good argument to start forks that nobody needs. I don't want
to mention a special distributions branch or any direction of
evangelism.

> I am fully aware that optional support for all existing init-systems
> and frameworks for session management and permissions.
> Sorry if I sounded too blunt!

No problem. It's a free world with free minds. :)

- Raphael