Menu Editor

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon May 7 14:50:01 CEST 2012

On Mon, 07 May 2012 12:59:45 +0200
Nick Schermer <nick at xfce.org> wrote:

> On 2012-05-07 12:52, Raphael Groner wrote:
> > Am Sun, 06 May 2012 23:46:51 +0200
> > schrieb xfce4-dev-request at xfce.org:
> >
> >> Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 22:16:53 +0200
> >> From: Natanael Copa <ncopa at alpinelinux.org>
> >> To: Xfce development list <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>
> >> Cc: raphgro at web.de, Tom?s Acauan Schertel <tschertel at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: Menu Editor

> >> Wouldn't vala use less memory?
> >
> > We should stop a general discussion about programming languages [0]
> > and
> > memory usage issues. It would not lead to the decided goal and is
> > farly off-topic for the design of a menu editor.
>
> There is also not much to discuss, because Xfce is written in C + Gtk.

Exactly. Anything that is ever supposed to be crucial for Xfce or be
included in the core of it will have to be written in C. I'd say Vala
is acceptable as well as it is only required at build time and is
compiled down to C code anyway.

What is more, the availability of complete Python bindings for Xfce (or
the lack of such; don't recall the status right now) represents an
unnecessary hurdle for developers. So, yeah, just stick to C/Vala - be
a serious programmer!

  - Jannis