[Xfce 4.12] Roadmap and Features

Vladimir Kravets vova.kravets at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:34:33 CEST 2012

2012/5/4 Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>

> > Since it very hard work for release in this case some of developer
> changed
> > major version of product. In our case:
> > 4.x will be connected to gtk2
> > 5.x will be connected to gtk3
>
> Almost correct:
>  4.10 will be connected to gtk2
>  4.12 will be connected to gtk3

For versions naming I think this is not logical. Changing major version
shows that a lot of work was made and this release will include more new
feature/refactoring and so on.

> > Implementing plan:
> > 1. Create new branch 4.x which will have have dep to gtk2.
> > This branch will exists only for support there are no new features in it,
> > only bug fixing.
>
> This branch exists, it is the 4.10 branch.
>
> > 2. In master (version 5.x) add dep to gtk3 and continue developing with
> new
> > gtk3 engine and all related work for porting plugins and so on to use new
> > engine.
>
> These will be separate gtk3 branches that will be merged into master
> once the porting is complete. (see release-process[0])

Yes I know that, but porting can take a lot of time and other mainteners
should also update you code in time. Because we don't want to release
version in which half plugins will not working.

> As always, we develop one version and maintain another.
>
> 4.10 is stable
>
> 4.12 is under development and will be ported to gtk-3 (development
> versions leading to 4.12 will be labeled 4.11.x)
>
> [1] http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2011-November/029342.html

After reading above message I think we are talking about one thing =) In my
case I'm only propose bump new version.
In any case I think this make sense since core modules will NOT changed.

BWT will we have another releases for 4.10 branch with urgent/high issues?

Thanks,
Vladimir