Menu Editor

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri May 4 11:34:05 CEST 2012

Am 04.05.2012 10:37, schrieb Landry Breuil:

[...]

> Bad decision... we went from a homegrown implem of a menu to a fully
> fd.o menu-spec compliant implem. I wouldnt call that a bad decision, and
> given the amount of contributors Xfce has, well too bad noone got
> interested in writing a menu editor. Keep in mind that people work on
> what interests them, and for fun.

First, with "bad decision" I did not mean the change to a new solution,
but more in general removing something you had before without an
alternative. Also, the term "bad decision" was not meant to be an
accusation, but rather of observational character. Second, the amount of
contributors.... maybe there are not so many after all? I mean,
certainly xfce has numerous contributors providing patches, but what
about developers that build projects from scratch? Third, regarding
interests... well that applies to all of us, doesn't it?

>  > That said, I have not used custom menus ever since and usually use
> the new (and very good) appfinder, but custom menus certainly have their
> area of application, e.g. make you find things fast on a glance, show
> limited choices for users that don't have much knowledge with computers,...
>
> Then the launcher perfectly fits that need. Ok, it cant do submenus, but
> how many apps do you really need fast access to that cant fit in one or
> two launchers?

Yeah, maybe. But I guess nobody tells you that the launchers are
supposed to replace the old menu. I guess the problem is often that that
sort of information is not conveyed clearly enough? Perhaps the internal
dev-talk does not propagate to the outside as needed? But then I suppose
the launchers were not meant to replace the menu because there's still
the option to use a custom menu file.

> If people want so much a menu editor, then it's a perfect project for
> someone who wants to contribute on a new project, apparently it'll make
> lots of users happy.
>
> Landry

I agree. Maybe someone volunteers to start such a project.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'