Xfce4-dev Digest, Vol 102, Issue 1

Nick Schermer nick at xfce.org
Wed May 2 15:00:50 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-02 14:40, Raphael Groner wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:38:56 +0200
>> From: Mark Trompell <mark at foresightlinux.org>
>> To: Xfce development list <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>
>> Subject: Re: Gtk3 for Xfce 4.12?
>> 	<CAEPa5y=3PC+v1faiGfAuyUG2WJw1SZ6RMFkniGiJEjhuJK6UHA at mail.gmail.com>
>>
> (...)
>> > Now 4.10 is out in the wild, it is time to look at the 4.12
>> roadmap
>> > and a part of that discussion is whether we want to port Xfce to
>> > gtk3.
>>
>> ... from my package maintainers view I would say, please do so, in
>> the
>> long term it's inevitable, anyway.
>> And as time goes by more applications will be ported to gtk3 and
>> some
>> of them are throwing away gtk2 compatibility quite quick.
>
> Well, what does "quite quick" mean? It's about upstream development
> here. I can remember Xfce focussed on users' needs in the past, and
> those do come from downstream, the distributions and its maintainers,
> so
> far, so right. But, those claimed features in marketing of Xfce were
> then: Lightweight libraries, Plugin API, simple to use applications.

None of this will change when porting to Gtk3. Don't see gtk3 as
Gnome3, but more like gtk 2.26.

>> > Plugins: porting will be a lot of work in the core modules, not
>> too
>> > much for panel plugins, but this this needs to be done.
>> >

> Who does this? Does upstream development start to care only on the
> main
> core, meaning only providing some libraries that aren't used by an
> application anyhow? Then, please change your marketing, devs! I
> remember
> xfburn is not working with Xfce 4.10 libraries, 4.10 got released
> recently. Maybe nobody had the idea to test xfburn against 4.10
> *before* the official release, so nobody needs it really? Why then,
> it
> gets tested *after* an official announce?

Xfburn works fine with 4.10, I have no idea where you heard this. Same
for alacarte, however, alacart does not respect the XDG_MENU_PREFIX spec
(well gnome-menus doesn't). Anyway, a menu editor is probably a goal for
4.12 anyway.

And we port all working an relevant plugins, it's just something we
need to keep in mind.

> Please name that branch "Very broken" then.

Spaces are not allowed in branch names, sorry.

> Sorry, Gtk3 is the goal. But I think, there are more important user
> needs to prioritize. Xfburn (broken since 4.10), Alacarte (broken
> since
> at least 4.8) and Plugins (broken sometimes, depending on the
> maintainer).
>
> Okay, let's start to remove xfburn, alacarte and some plugins if they
> are going to be dead for a while. But what will then remain? Not
> much,
> for the point of view of an user. Distributions then will start to
> patch
> for their own (not much other choice left) or implement applications
> from other projects (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, etc.). Good bye, well
> integrated
> desktop environment.

Don't be a half-informed ass here mister. You obviously have no clue
what you're talking about so leave this to the experts please (the mail
didn't start with "Devs" in the first place).

Nick