xfce4-session: xfwm4 removed from session, not started on login

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:32:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>wrote:

> On mer., 2012-07-25 at 18:17 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > Yes, but such an issue should not happen, I don't see the point of
> > adding a mechanism to prevent something that should not happen
> > anyway.
>
> Yes, but what if/when a bug arise that crashes the wm outside the
> session (wether in the wm or in the session manager) and the wm is not
> saved?

Can you elaborate on how the WM could crash outside the session and would
still be expected to be saved along with the session?

If session managed, the WM be automatically restarted in case of unexpected
termination. If not restarted by the session manager then it's a bug in the
session manager that needs to be fixed.

If outside the session, then it means it's not session managed and not a
bug with the session manager anyway.

The general rule is trying to hide bugs by adding complexity is usually not
the right approach to the problems.

Cheers,
Olivier