systemd user session integration

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Sun Jul 1 07:41:13 CEST 2012

On 06/30/2012 06:01 PM, Andrzej wrote:
> On 30/06/12 14:39, Auke Kok wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I'd like to start a quick project to properly integrate Xfce4 with
>> systemd. There are several parts needed here, but it's not too hard to
>> do so.
>>
>> Some concepts, before we start:
>>
>> [1] systemd starts everything. No cheating and forking off helper
>> processes
>> [2] socket activation is better than dbus activation is better than
>> launching
>> [3] processes involved should signal when they are "complete" or "ready".
>

> I'm all for [3] (where "processes" are "xfce4-session") and against [1]
> and [2]. I'd call it a baseline Xfce4-systemd integration and it should
> be available and supported out-of-the-(Xfce)-box.
>
> With that working you could proceed to deeper integration [1-3] but IMHO
> [1] and [2] should still be entirely optional.

Optional, certainly, but we shouldn't make Xfce session run in
old-school mode when e.g. --with-systemd-integration is passed.

Just writing 2 lines of code in Xfce4-session to call sd-notify is
useless, and you should not even bother if that's all that you want to
do, it's more of an insult then helpful, really. (you can already do
that right now without changes, just watch my demo video here:
http://youtu.be/KmZNZJeJz2w).

What's wrong with determining which parts of Xfce4-session should be
independently started components and allowing a systemd-based host to
take full advantage of things like daemon watchdogs, starting based on
dependencies, etc. ?

Auke