systemd user session integration

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 1 03:01:01 CEST 2012

On 30/06/12 14:39, Auke Kok wrote:

> All,
>
> I'd like to start a quick project to properly integrate Xfce4 with
> systemd. There are several parts needed here, but it's not too hard to
> do so.
>
> Some concepts, before we start:
>
> [1] systemd starts everything. No cheating and forking off helper processes
> [2] socket activation is better than dbus activation is better than
> launching
> [3] processes involved should signal when they are "complete" or "ready".

I'm all for [3] (where "processes" are "xfce4-session") and against [1]
and [2]. I'd call it a baseline Xfce4-systemd integration and it should
be available and supported out-of-the-(Xfce)-box.

With that working you could proceed to deeper integration [1-3] but IMHO
[1] and [2] should still be entirely optional.

Andrzej