Mime-type editor, where to put it?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 21:26:40 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:05:58 +0100
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Code is in the nick/mime-settings branch of xfce4-settings.
>
> I just had a quick look at it. Here's my comments:
>
> * Small icons next to the MIME types and application names would be
>  useful IMHO, as they could help finding things more quickly.

True-ish, but loading ~600 icons is not a good idea...

> * Icons in the application choosing menu might be a good idea to make
>  the menu resemble the one in thunar more closely.

Done.

> * I would put the status column aside to the very right or drop it
>  entirely. It's of secondary importance at best and the direct link
>  between MIME type and application is a little broken visually by
>  having the status column in between.

I could enable-rules hinting, but I think the column serves some purpose.

> * A double-click on a non-selected row currently does not make the menu
>  pop-up, which I would've expected. In general, I would suggest to
>  simply only pop up the menu on double-click even for rows that are
>  already selected.
>
> * Since there is no point in having a different double-click behavior
>  for the individual columns, can we perhaps pop up the application
>  choosing menu whenever the user double-clicks a row *anywhere*? (Or
>  activates the row by other means like pressing the enter/return of
>  course.)

Double click will open the chooser dialog now and select active in
chooser dialog.

> * "Mime Type" in the dialog title and tree view header should be "MIME
>  Type" or "Content Type". Similarly, "mime type" in the description
>  should be "MIME type" or "content type". I guess this also affects
>  the status bar.

Fixed, I think more people recognize mime.

> * About the description: "Configure" is a bit redundant here
>  (admittedly, I've used it in the mixer dialog myself...) and the
>  description is little complicated. Maybe it could just be "Associate
>  applications with MIME types" (or "content types")?

Fixed.

> * Perhaps "file types" is even better than "MIME types" and "content
>  types".

That might also relate to extensions. No strong opinion here.

> * The dialog padding and spacing between the items is inconsistent with
>  the rest of Xfce at this point. Luckily, that's an easy fix. :)

Done.

> * It would be cool if the filter would also match against the names of
>  applications currently being used. E.g. if a user decides to switch
>  from one text editor to another, he or she might want to search for
>  "emacs" and replace all its associations with "vim" instead of going
>  through all the MIME types one by one to check which of them are
>  linked to "emacs".

Click the application column?

> * Not sure, but would tooltips make sense? Is there any additional
>  information that we can display and that people might be interested
>  in?

Well the description, but I removed that and used a statusbar instead.
Saves loading the description on startup.

> Other than that I think it it's really good to have this. Many people
> will like this and it will certainly help cleaning up MIME type
> associations every now and then.

Alright then, thanks for the tips.

Nick