Mime-type editor, where to put it?

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Jan 21 18:46:01 CET 2012

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:05:58 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Code is in the nick/mime-settings branch of xfce4-settings.

I just had a quick look at it. Here's my comments:

* Small icons next to the MIME types and application names would be
  useful IMHO, as they could help finding things more quickly.

* Icons in the application choosing menu might be a good idea to make
  the menu resemble the one in thunar more closely.

* I would put the status column aside to the very right or drop it
  entirely. It's of secondary importance at best and the direct link
  between MIME type and application is a little broken visually by
  having the status column in between.

* A double-click on a non-selected row currently does not make the menu
  pop-up, which I would've expected. In general, I would suggest to
  simply only pop up the menu on double-click even for rows that are
  already selected.

* Since there is no point in having a different double-click behavior
  for the individual columns, can we perhaps pop up the application
  choosing menu whenever the user double-clicks a row *anywhere*? (Or
  activates the row by other means like pressing the enter/return of
  course.)

* "Mime Type" in the dialog title and tree view header should be "MIME
  Type" or "Content Type". Similarly, "mime type" in the description
  should be "MIME type" or "content type". I guess this also affects
  the status bar.

* About the description: "Configure" is a bit redundant here
  (admittedly, I've used it in the mixer dialog myself...) and the
  description is little complicated. Maybe it could just be "Associate
  applications with MIME types" (or "content types")?

* Perhaps "file types" is even better than "MIME types" and "content
  types".

* The dialog padding and spacing between the items is inconsistent with
  the rest of Xfce at this point. Luckily, that's an easy fix. :)

* It would be cool if the filter would also match against the names of
  applications currently being used. E.g. if a user decides to switch
  from one text editor to another, he or she might want to search for
  "emacs" and replace all its associations with "vim" instead of going
  through all the MIME types one by one to check which of them are
  linked to "emacs".

* Not sure, but would tooltips make sense? Is there any additional
  information that we can display and that people might be interested
  in?

Other than that I think it it's really good to have this. Many people
will like this and it will certainly help cleaning up MIME type
associations every now and then.

  - Jannis