Mime-type editor, where to put it?

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Jan 21 15:00:42 CET 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:23:09 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> > I think xfce4-settings is a good place, possibly with a button in
> > the dialog preferred apps.
> >
> > Since you might want this when you are not using thunar too.
>
> I think this is the best place as well.

Yes, I agree with xfce4-settings being the right place for this kind of
functionality. Thunar is not the only app that makes use of these
associations and that changes them (e.g. browsers install themselves as
default browsers), so it shouldn't go into thunar.

> Another question is,do we want to show this in the settings dialog or
> is a button in preferred apps good enough? It think the latter is
> good enough, because mime-editing is a too "advanced" feature (yet
> still easy to reach).

I'm not sure about the button in preferred apps if the MIME editor is
in a different package than exo. That essentially makes
exo-preferred-applications runtime-dependent on xfce4-settings-<name
of te MIME dialog>, which I'd find a little odd. It might also break
pluggable dialogs (which I still think we should make the default at
some point) and introduce a nesting of settings dialogs, which makes
things harder to find. So maybe just make it a top-level item in the
settings editor.

> An entry in the system/settings menu would be nice tho (also required
> to show it in the appfinder).

Yes, absolutely.

  - Jannis