Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:37:26 CET 2012

On 13/01/2012 02:46, Natanael Copa wrote:
>> http://blog.desdelinux.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/efecto_xfwm.jpg
> I would love this feature if:
> 1) it could be disabled
> 2) had a keyboard shortcut

IMHO, it is OK to have the support for tiling built-in (non-optional). 
It is only the UI that needs some work. Currently the "move window" 
operation is overloaded, which results in a conflict. Its behavior 
should either be configurable, split into separate operations ("move 
window", "move and tile window") or use some sort of a multiplexing 
mechanism (timeout?).

My preference is to split the operation e.g. by pressing a "control" key 
while dragging to temporarily enable "move and tile window" behavior. 
This is IMHO a better solution than a timeout (which is a bit clunky and 
unpredictable) or an ON/OFF switch (I want this mechanism to be active 
95% of the time but the remaining 5% could be rather unpleasant).


Another question. Are tiled windows in any way standardized? Ideally, 
I'd like to be able to tile/un-tile windows both from the WM and from 
outside of it (by setting a window property).


More information about the Xfce4-dev mailing list