Xfwm4-Tiling

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Thu Jan 12 04:41:49 CET 2012

On 01/11/2012 07:02 PM, André Miranda wrote:
> Em 11/01/2012 23:52, Matthew Brush escreveu:
>> It's not even the multi-monitor part that bothers me, it's the fact
>> that when I place a window at the edge of the screen, something I do
>> very frequently, instead of snapping the window to the corner/edge, it
>> takes the whole window hostage and maximizes along the corner, edge,
>> or the entirely of the screen.
>>
> What about a timer? If you drag the window to the edge of the screen and
> rapidly release the mouse button then the normal behaviour will occur,
> your window at the same size in that location. But if you drag the
> window to the edge and keeps the mouse button pressed for let's say
> 1500ms(maybe it can be set by the user) then a "semi-transparent
> rectangle" is displayed indicating how the window is gonna be scaled and
> if you release the mouse button(still at the edge) then you got your
> scaled window.
> What do you think?

The user in me thinks this would be great but the developer in me thinks
this is too "magic" and would be nasty to implement and add options for,
riddled with corner cases (not that I've ever even looked at the XFWM4
code base).

I think the Win7/GNOME3 behaviour is fine as long as it can be
disabled/enabled at will, since obviously there's lots of people who do
like it.

My $0.02

Cheers,
Matthew Brush