Desktop icon grid

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Sep 29 11:32:17 CEST 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:44:27 +0200
Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

> On mer., 2011-09-28 at 17:09 +0200, Harald Judt wrote:
> > Actually I'm still using FUSE (namely, sshfs-fuse), but it also
> > lags with CIFS, and I've already seen thunar working faster with
> > USB transfers too. I find it more convenient, as I can set it up
> > automatically depending on the network environment and use it on
> > the command line too.
> >
> > It's not the dialog that "freezes", but rather the whole thunar
> > instance. "Freezes" might be the wrong word, so let's just say that
> > it reacts very very slow and does not repaint often enough.
>
> I've seen those freezes too with cifs. Mainly, when I suspend my
> laptop with a mounted cifs share (so unrelated to gvfs-smb). At
> resume, the cifs connection is desynchronized and it takes some time
> to return to normal (even a pure ls to the mounted folder will hang).
> That makes thunar hangs too (even though the mounted folder is not
> displayed iirc) until the mount is sync'ed again. As the *daemon* is
> hung, it's not possible to open new windows either. It seems to
> indicate something is not completely asynchronous in Thunar.

It's true, loading file information is not always implemented
asynchronously. The jannis/new-shortcuts-pane branch improves this
quite a bit but even there some synchronous operations remain. The
ultimate goal is to perform everything asynchronously at some point but
at the moment this is unfinished.

  - Jannis