Decoupling gnome-keyring initialization from GNOME compatibility mode

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Tue Sep 27 14:58:39 CEST 2011

* Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org> [2011-09-27 01:43]:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 05:54, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> > However as a first step would it be acceptable to decouple the
> > current gnome-keyring initialization code from GNOME
> > compatibility mode and add an UI option to allow the use of
> > gnome-keyring without enabling GNOME compatibility mode (the
> > latter could then implicitly enable gnome-keyring
> > initialization)?
> > The background is that people seem to be interested in
> > running gnome-keyring but enabling GNOME compatibility mode
> > has the side effect of starting lots of unwanted stuff (e.g.
> > gnome-setting-daemon) as a side effect.
> > If this sounds acceptable I'd be willing to take care of that.
>
> I'm not particularly interested in playing around with the
> half-solution at this point.  Depending on needs, it might be possible
> to "fix" yourself by *not* enabling GNOME compat, and then hacking
> Xfce's xinitrc (can copy to ~/.config/xfce4/ and edit there to test)
> to start keyring before xfce4-session.  If it's capable of dumping env
> vars into the invoking shell, that might be enough to get it limping
> along.

I think my intent might not have been completely clear.  There
are really two issues involved here, one is allowing to autostart
GNOME services which make use of X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase and
org.gnome.SessionManager DBus API and the other one is allowing
users to only enable gnome-keyring without all the other GNOME
services.  The latter would not be addressed by improving and
extending the GNOME compatibility code; xfce4-session-settings
does not display autostart files with "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;" which
GNOME copatibility mode unconditionally enables so there is no UI
allowing users to selectively disable GNOME services they do not
want or which are even problematic when run with Xfce. The only
way to currently do it is to manually copy all unwanted autostart
files into $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and set Hidden=true.

What I'm currently most interested in is an intermediate,
short-term solution for the upcoming openSUSE release allowing
our users to use gnome-keyring without starting all GNOME
services since there is demand for it. Such an intermediate fix
does not need to go into Xfce upstream if a better implementation
will be part of Xfce 4.10, however I will only be able to do this
if there is agreement on whether this should be addressed at all
and, if so, on the basic design (e.g. the addition of an xfconf
setting and UI for that).  What do you think?

--
Guido Berhoerster