Decoupling gnome-keyring initialization from GNOME compatibility mode

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Sep 27 01:35:49 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 05:54, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org> wrote:

> However as a first step would it be acceptable to decouple the
> current gnome-keyring initialization code from GNOME
> compatibility mode and add an UI option to allow the use of
> gnome-keyring without enabling GNOME compatibility mode (the
> latter could then implicitly enable gnome-keyring
> initialization)?
> The background is that people seem to be interested in
> running gnome-keyring but enabling GNOME compatibility mode
> has the side effect of starting lots of unwanted stuff (e.g.
> gnome-setting-daemon) as a side effect.
> If this sounds acceptable I'd be willing to take care of that.

I'm not particularly interested in playing around with the
half-solution at this point.  Depending on needs, it might be possible
to "fix" yourself by *not* enabling GNOME compat, and then hacking
Xfce's xinitrc (can copy to ~/.config/xfce4/ and edit there to test)
to start keyring before xfce4-session.  If it's capable of dumping env
vars into the invoking shell, that might be enough to get it limping
along.

     -b