Ristretto Settings Dialog visible inside xfce4-settings-manager

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Fri Oct 28 17:50:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:16:00 +0200
> Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I want to discuss the following commit with you:
>>
>> http://git.xfce.org/apps/ristretto/commit/?id=036198d17a53ddf43484805536c0e30b614bd65f
>>
>> I have 2 questions:
>>
>> 1) Is it a good idea to expose the ristretto settings dialog to
>> xfce4-settings? - (if not, then I can revert)
>
> I'd say no. In my view, the settings manager is for settings that
> affect the behavior and appearance of the working environment
> only, modulo system (non-user) settings that are often accessed
> separately.
>
> Actually, some time ago, Nick proposed to use garcon to load the items
> in the settings manager. We could easily have two buttons
>
>  "General" (or "Environment" or whatever)
>  "Applications"
>
> at the top of the settings manager to also make application-specific
> settings available in the same manner as regular desktop settings. Any
> thoughts on this?

I like this idea, though you might want to add more categories. I
imagine software-distributions want to include their
system-configuration software in there aswell. Like the stuff used for
configuring the login-manager, users, or the network.

Getting all that in the dialog as it is now will clutter the dialog.
We are already talking about > 15 icons. Add a few more and it becomes
really confusing.

> (On a side note, I'd also prefer if we moved the "Overview"
> button, which appears if pluggable dialogs are enabled, to the top
> rather than having it at the bottom.)

Yeah, maybe.

-