Ristretto Settings Dialog visible inside xfce4-settings-manager

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Oct 28 17:26:13 CEST 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:16:00 +0200
Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I want to discuss the following commit with you:
>
> http://git.xfce.org/apps/ristretto/commit/?id=036198d17a53ddf43484805536c0e30b614bd65f
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is it a good idea to expose the ristretto settings dialog to
> xfce4-settings? - (if not, then I can revert)

I'd say no. In my view, the settings manager is for settings that
affect the behavior and appearance of the working environment
only, modulo system (non-user) settings that are often accessed
separately.

Actually, some time ago, Nick proposed to use garcon to load the items
in the settings manager. We could easily have two buttons

  "General" (or "Environment" or whatever)
  "Applications"

at the top of the settings manager to also make application-specific
settings available in the same manner as regular desktop settings. Any
thoughts on this?

(On a side note, I'd also prefer if we moved the "Overview"
button, which appears if pluggable dialogs are enabled, to the top
rather than having it at the bottom.)

  - Jannis