Tabs

Daniel Jensen jensend at iname.com
Tue Oct 18 00:20:13 CEST 2011

I wasn't a subscriber here but was reading the recent argument about
tabs in Thunar in the list archive and wanted to mention an alternative:
tab support at the WM level. It has some disadvantages arising from not
being tailored for the application, but a lot of folks out there feel
that this kind of task really belongs to the WM and that solving the
problem over and over again in each application is kind of an ugly hack.
Solving the problem at the WM level does also address a lot of the
"simplicity" concerns that were raised.

KDE added tab support to KWin for version 4.4; a few of the other WMs
that support tabs are mentioned at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_%28GUI%29#Window_managers_that_provide_a_tabbed_document_interface
.

I know KDE was looking at ways to make the grouping happen automatically
and creating an api to give the application control over grouping; I
don't know how those efforts are going now. Seems like something that
people should try to come up with a standard api for-is this a job for
freedesktop.org?

Really the best excuse browsers etc have for doing tabs themselves is
that it's hard to get the proper changes in window management behavior
from the MS and Apple- controlled UIs. Even on those platforms people
have made third-party solutions (see comments and links at
http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=8 ).