GTK+ 3

dE . de.techno at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:44:51 CEST 2011

On 10/17/11 14:19, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> * dE .<de.techno at gmail.com>  [2011-10-17 07:28]:
>> On 10/16/11 17:34, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>>> * dE .<de.techno at gmail.com>   [2011-10-15 03:12]:
>>> This kind of lightweight in terms of memory usage argument quickly
>>> falls apart as soon as you try to do anything useful with such
>>> obsolete hardware, ie. open any modern webbrowser, pdf reader or
>>> office suite.
>> So what do you suggest?
> I suggest focusing the marketing of Xfce on its other strengths,
> while in theory Xfce might be able to run with 192 MB RAM on an
> 8-11 year old system, applications, underlying infrastructure and
> the OS itself will be the limiting factor on any modern
> mainstream general-purpose OS.
> Now, embedded platforms are a different matter, there are usually
> specialized OS with specialized DEs and applications which take
> their specific constraints into account.
No, there're a lot of OSs which take less than 64 MB ram at core install
-- we may exclude Gentoo (just for the installation), OpenSuse, Ubuntu
but there're plenty more like Arch, Debian, CentOS etc... On 128 MB ram,
I've got evidence of Chromium working with LXDE if not FF, cause LXDE
takes 30 - 40 MB on startup.