GTK+ 3

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Mon Oct 17 10:49:03 CEST 2011

* dE . <de.techno at gmail.com> [2011-10-17 07:28]:
> On 10/16/11 17:34, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> >* dE .<de.techno at gmail.com>  [2011-10-15 03:12]:
> >>The reason why all DEs are becoming heavy cause more powerful
> >>hardware is available. By low powered hardware I mean Pentium 3 or
> >>lower with less than 256 MB ram. The minimum of xfce is 192+, a
> >>hardware on which LXDE works fast but it's too simple -- it's
> >>missing very basic features and feels very old.
> >This kind of lightweight in terms of memory usage argument quickly
> >falls apart as soon as you try to do anything useful with such
> >obsolete hardware, ie. open any modern webbrowser, pdf reader or
> >office suite.
> So what do you suggest?
I suggest focusing the marketing of Xfce on its other strengths,
while in theory Xfce might be able to run with 192 MB RAM on an
8-11 year old system, applications, underlying infrastructure and
the OS itself will be the limiting factor on any modern
mainstream general-purpose OS.
Now, embedded platforms are a different matter, there are usually
specialized OS with specialized DEs and applications which take
their specific constraints into account.
--
Guido Berhoerster