Accessibility in Xfce: Viewing terminal output in Accerciser

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 08:24:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Sean Normoyle <stn825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
> First off, I should introduce myself. My name is Sean Normoyle and I am a
> senior computer science student at Western New England University. This
> semester, me and three other students will be attempting to improve
> accessibility for visually impaired users of Xfce. Specifically, our team
> has decided to investigate reading terminal output audibly via Orca's
> text-to-speech.

Great news!

> With that said, our first issue is viewing the output of and events caused
> by the terminal within the Accerciser application. However, in order to be
> able to this, Joanie Diggs has mentioned to me that we have to enable
> accessibility from within Xfce settings. In particular, there is a tab
> within this window that is not displayed in Xfce 4.8 (she recommended that I
> might have to build and install version 4.10...?). I am new to using Xfce
> but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We started to focus on accessibility after the 4.8 release (with
backport to stable branches where possible). So if you want to help
improving accessibility it is indeed recommended to use 4.10, aka git
master.

Some guidance is available here: http://www.xfce.org/download/building

The git repository of the core modules can be found here:
http://git.xfce.org/xfce
You don't need all of them only: xfce4-dev-tools, libxfce4util,
xfconf, libxfce4ui, garcon, exo, xfce4-panel, thunar (in that order
iirc) and then everything else: tumbler, xfce4-appfinder,
xfce4-power-manager, xfce4-session, xfce4-settings,xfdesktop, xfwm4 (+
some other non-core applications like terminal).

Hopefully that will get you started.

Nick